Metal Storm logo
BBcode tags and tag updates

01.05.2024 - 15:47
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
As already announced, I did some work to the band, album, and user tags, which makes me think I should compile a complete list of tags that we currently have and how they work.

To prevent tags from being parsed, I'll insert spaces. Obviously these will need to be removed when using them.

Tags that aren't accessible via buttons below the post box:

[ user id=32779 ] corrupt [ /user ]

id has to be numerical.
If an ID is provided and leads to a user profile, it will always win and overwrite the tag label. Failing that, the name will be parsed as a username and if said user exists, they will be linked. If nothing works, just the name will be printed

[ band id=94 ] Emperor [ /band ]

id has to be numerical.
Same behavior as the user tag, just for bands.

[ album id=623 ] Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk [ /album ]

id has to be numerical.
Same behavior as the user tag, just for albums.
----
04.05.2024 - 15:37
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I collected some feedback and this is the next iteration based on that:

The format for [band], [user], and [album] tags got one more overhaul. The key point was to make it possible to decide the link label when posting tags. E.g. Probably the best band in the world. period.

Since we have the ID attribute now, it became kinda pointless to write [ band id=94 ] [ /band ] when you just want the link label to be the band's name, so [ band id=94 ] now works alone. Same for [ user ], and [ album ].

As such, we are left with this format, that is fully backwards-compatible with the old [ band ] tag format:

[ band id=94 ] will resolve to Emperor.
[ band id=10475 ] will resolve to Véhémence, as will [ band ]Véhémence[ /band ].

Precise spelling still takes precedence, so [ band ]vehemence[ /band ] will instead resolve to Vehemence.

A label together with an id, will resolve the link, but leave you with a custom label like:
[ user id=137742 ]Certified Hipster[ /user ] resolving to Certified Hipster.
[ album id=623 ]The one album for the lonely island[ /album ] resolving to The one album for the lonely island.

Bottom line, no longer will you have to link Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs with their full name ever again. A problem, I'm sure, all of you have had already
----